Monday, February 14, 2011

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Happy Valentine's lovebirds!  I spent the weekend cooking for two parties -- a birthday bash with a crowd that sounded like they were out of Noel Coward play --  hilarious.  And a Grammy party that featured my time-honored bolognese that is one of the best ragus ever!  Oh and at the latter hands down, the most gorgeous guest to date... can't reveal his name but can I just say that cooking for a 6'4" surfer with a sensitive poetic side and a killer smille is like well my version of a lap dance.  Beautiful men really love it when you cook well and they let you know how appreciative they are... okay so this is getting off  track for sure.  

Wanted to add that what makes cooking for people so damn swell is the amount of love and happiness you are able to witness and contribute to via the delicious food you present.   There is a spike of instant gratification when you see the smiles and hear the "oh my God" after a guest bites into a particularly outrageous appetizer like my roasted walnut, anchovie and olive tapenade on crositini or polish off a chocolate pot de creme smothered in whipped cream and then lick the rim of the ramekin.   This is love; right?  Plain and simple.  So I guess without overstating, I am in the business of delivering love and that makes me feel so good about myself. 

So in honor of Valentine's Day I wanted to share all the love I felt this weekend via these decadent, best little chocolate pots de creme, because everyone should have chocolate on Valentine's.  And they're easy so don't freak out....

I baked these in 8oz. jelly jars but you can bake them in ramekins or any type of glass vessel that appeals to you. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

8 egg yolks
1 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1 1/3 Cup Milk
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla

Place the chocolate chips in a bowl.  Heat the cream and milk until simmering.  Whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla.  Pour the steaming milk mixture over the chocolate chips.  Whisk until the chocolate melts completely.  Temper the egg yolks some of the hot chocolate cream and then slowly incorporate into the chocolate.

Place four vessels in a casserole and fill with water until it reaches the glasses halfway point.  Bake until firm around 30 minutes.  Once they've cooled allow them to chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours.  Top with fresh whipped cream or eat by themselves.  They are heaven on earth.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment